[Pw_forum] negative value of polarization and Z* for Pb in Tetragonal PbTiO3 and discrepancy

Prasenjit Ghosh prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 18:29:17 CEST 2008

Dear Sathya,

First of all I would like you to note that the method used in the PRL is
different from that used in QE, while the former is based on LAPW method,
Pwscf is a plane wave code. So the structural parameters given in the PRL is
a good guess to start your calculation. However, you should first obtain the
optimized values of cell parameters and atomic positions using pwscf and
then proceed to do other calculations. These values should be comparable to
those mentioned in the PRL, provided you use same level of theory (eg. same
exchange correlation, same pseudopotential, same k-points, etc.) and you do
the things correctly.

As mentioned by others, you should test your pseudopotentials and also
perform convergence tests for k-point mesh used, ecutwfc, etc. Moreover,
since you are using ultrasoft pseudo potential, I would suggest you to use
ecutrho=8-10*ecutwfc, presently u r using ecutrho=4.0*ecutwfc, which is
often not sufficient for US psps. At least  for structural relaxations,
"conv_thr=1e-08" is sufficient, although you may need to use a more strict
condition when you calculate the effective charges.

Hope this helps.

Prasenjit.

PRASENJIT GHOSH,
POST-DOC,