[Pw_forum] STS spectra

Daniele Passerone Daniele.Passerone at empa.ch
Tue Jul 8 17:58:10 CEST 2008

Dear Pwscf users and developers,

The postprocessing facilities of espresso allow to extract stm images,
that correspond in Tersoff-Hamann approximation to the
localized density of states integrated between Efermi and a given
(positive or negative) bias. The more convenient way to analyze this
quantity is in my opinion by generating a 3d grid and visualizing it
with xcrysden, which incidentally can also show planes parallel to the
cell
sides.

The ILDOS option of pp.x (plot_num=10) somewhat extends this, allowing
to compute the LDOS integrated between emin and emax.
STS (scanning tunneling spectroscopy) experiments sample the local
density of states at a surface: one obtains a profile of dI/dV
at a certain point on the surface, and this gives valuable information
about the local conductivity and presence of peaks in the DOS etc.

The question is: what is the more convenient and fast way to get the
LDOS profile from Emin to Emax,  on a certain plane (let us say, 2
Angstrom above the surface)? I thought one could make several jobs of
pp.x : from Emin to Emin+DeltaE, from Emin + Delta E to
Emin + 2*Delta E.... and so on... but maybe there are much better ways
to do that.

Thank you in advance for any advice,
Daniele

Dr. Daniele Passerone
Abteilung nanotech at surfaces
Theory and atomistic simulation of materials
Empa - Materials Science & Technology
Ueberlandstrasse 129
CH-8600 Dübendorf

Tel +41 44 823 4877