[Pw_forum] OpenMPI problems with espresso 4.0cvs

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 25 15:31:25 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Riccardo Sabatini wrote:

RS> Hello everyone,

hi riccardo,

RS>     i finally compiled espresso with MPI (thanks for the suggestion,
RS> with gfortran worked perfectly). I had no problem in the compilation
RS> but i can't make it run. I'm trying a super easy run: from the
RS> exercise01 the si.scf.cg.in.
RS>
RS>     Now, if i run the file with the espresso 3.2 compiled without mpi
RS> obviously runs perfectly but if i try the same file with the mpi
RS> version it gives me this error (3 times)

doing the same thing 3 times doesn't make it more likely to work...

RS>       stopping ...
RS> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RS>
RS>      My launch command is (i'm running on a four cores processor now)
RS>
RS>       mpirun -np 4 ../QE-MPI/bin/pw.x < prova.in

have you tried the -in flag? not all MPI implementations
replicate the input across all nodes and i personally
think it is in general a bad idea to read an input from
stdin. we don't run anything interactively these days
anyways and being able to check file status etc. is
a bit advantage.

cheers,
    axel.