[Pw_forum] Stack size error on CVS version

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Wed Sep 5 16:56:42 CEST 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 15:32 , Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini wrote:

> I downloaded the CVS version few minutes ago and after compilation of
> pwall suite on a MacOSX 10.4.10-intel (with ifort and gcc-4.2, and
> compiled not as root) I receive an error related to "stack memory
> size"

no Sir, you received a WARNING, not an error. The code keeps working.
It just warns you that it cannot remove the stack size limit (the
stack is a
part of the RAM. Don't ask me why the RAM is split into "stack", "heap",
and whatnot, I don't know). If everything works, never mind.

If it annoys you, modify the clib/stack.c routine so that it doesn't
write
anything, or throw out the standard error output (e.g.: pw.x 2> /dev/
null).
Since your stack size seems to be quite big (65Mb) I don't expect any
problem.

Should the code require more stack, you are left with the following
- cursing Intel because their compiler eats up so much stack (useless)
- cursing Apple because Mac OS-X does not allow users to remove the
stack size limit (also useless)
- modifying the clib/stack.c routine so that it determines the maximum
limit and sets the stack size accordingly (65536kb seems to be the
maximum for users on Mac OS-X, so it might be useless as well)
- running with root privilege (dangerous)

See also here:
    http://www.democritos.it:8888/O-sesame/chngview?cn=4710

Paolo
---