[Pw_forum] Stack size error on CVS version

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Wed Sep 5 15:32:31 CEST 2007

Hello to all,
I downloaded the CVS version few minutes ago and after compilation of
pwall suite on a MacOSX 10.4.10-intel (with ifort and gcc-4.2, and
compiled not as root) I receive an error related to "stack memory
size" during execution of example01

fusi:/usr/local/sh/espresso/examples/example01 zucco$ ./run_example

/usr/local/sh/espresso/examples/example01 : starting

This example shows how to use pw.x to calculate the total energy and
the band structure of four simple systems: Si, Al, Cu, Ni.

   executables directory: /usr/local/softwarehouse/espresso/bin
   pseudo directory:      /usr/local/softwarehouse/espresso/pseudo
   temporary directory:   /Users/zucco/tmp
   checking that needed directories and files exist... done

   running pw.x as:  /usr/local/softwarehouse/espresso/bin/pw.x
   running bands.x as:  /usr/local/softwarehouse/espresso/bin/bands.x

   cleaning /Users/zucco/tmp... done
   running the scf calculation for Si...Cannot set stack size to
infinity: Operation not permitted
done
   running the band-structure calculation for Si...Cannot set stack
size to infinity: Operation not permitted
done

the ulimit -a (if it is useful) prints:

core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 6144
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 65536
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 266
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

BUT. If I run example01 as root all is ok. Maybe this is a problem
related by my system but espresso-3.2 compiled few weeks ago, never
incur in this problem.

Many thanks to all

m.

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini
zucco at dipteris.unige.it
Researcher / Geochemist
Laboratory of Geochemistry
http://www.dipteris.unige.it/geochimica

DIPartimento per lo studio della TErra e delle sue RISorse -
Università  di Genova
Tel. ++39 010 3538136 Fax. ++39 010 352169
Corso Europa 26, 16132 - Genova - Italy