[Pw_forum] Seeking Advice on Small Hardware Platforms for PWscf Implementation

Paul M. Grant w2agz at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 20 18:02:47 CET 2007

Thanks for the feedback.  The two dual Xeon boards I have were originally
chosen to host my website.  I long suspected that there was "thrashing"
between the two processors when performing numerically intensive
calculations.  I assume the same would occur within the cores of a single
processor as well?  However, my understanding was this approach was supposed
to better implement matrix manipulation for gaming applications.  If so, one
would assume improved performance for the fft operations at the "core" of
pw.x.

Paul M. Grant, PhD
Principal, W2AGZ Technologies
Visiting Scholar, Applied Physics, Stanford University
EPRI Science Fellow (Retired)
IBM Research Staff Member Emeritus
w2agz at pacbell.net
http://www.w2agz.com