[Pw_forum] Problem with nbnd in clusters

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 20 16:48:21 CET 2007

Hi Cyrille,

your tm dimer will likely require spin polarization, and
will have several scf solutions that correspond to different
S_z (that you can fix in several ways, either specifying the
number of spin up and spin down, or using a fermi_up and
fermi_down energy, to specify n_up - n_down but still treating
the system with a smearing and fractional occupations).

Even for a given S_z, there will be different scf solutions
that have different spatial symmetry.

So, in your case I would definitely switch spin-polarization,
and maybe play around with small and large smearings, to see what
happens, and look at the states, and the occupations. Anyhow, if
you get to a scf solution, that is a "good" solution for the GGA
problem, although might not be very physical.

Also, have a look at Kulik et al PRL 2006.

			nicola