[Pw_forum] ion problem

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Nov 13 21:56:20 CET 2007

Unless you put some constraint the code will distribute the charge
density so as to minimize the total energy. If the atoms behaves as ions
in your cluster this will be automatically found by the code.
A way (one of the many arbitrary ways) to measure this atomic charge is
to project the wfc on atomic orbitals and counts how many electrons are
projected on each atom... this is done by projwfc.x in the PP directory.
If you want to force the system to do something else w.r.t. what it
would do automatically you need to add some constraint. For instance in
a non collinear magnetic calculation one can constraint the size of the
atomic magnetization, its direction or one of its commponents. In the
cvs version magnetization size can be constrained also in the collinear
case.
Currently there is no constraint on the atomic charge but using the
constrained_magnetization part as template should not be too difficult
implement such a feature.

Hope this helps,

Don't forget to sign your posts including your affilation.

Stefano de Gironcoli, SISSA and DEMOCRITOS