[Pw_forum] relax question

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Jul 15 12:48:02 CEST 2007

Hi All:

a small further comment to explicitly stress a point that has already
been raised more or less implicitly.

One runs simulations not just for the sake of it, but to calculate
properties, right? And properties are numbers, right?

Well, the right questions to ask at the start of a simulation concern
the influence of the input parameters on the *specific numbers* one
wants to calculate (i.e. the *specific property* one wants to study).
Of course, the energy is a very important property, and it is very
correct to ask oneself what the influence of the input parameters on
the accuracy of the calculated energy would be (not to mention its
conservation, if one runs a MD simulation). It is not the only one,
though. If you want to study the equilibrium geometry, for instance,
it is the accuracy of bond lengths and bond angles that would matter,
and the softer the system, the more difficult it will be to achieve a
given target accuracy (this point has been discussed in this very
thread, I think).

All in all, I would recommend that before asking what value a given
parameter should be given, one should ask oneself "why should I care
about this parameter?". A proper answer to the latter question will
almost invariably also answer the first.

I understand that the usage of canned packages such as QE or vasp
encourages a somewhat uncritical approach to the many, many,
parameters needed to fine tune a well done simulation. This is one
more reason, I think, to make an effort to ask sometimes general
questions before specific ones.

Cheers - Stefano

On Jul 15, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Xunlei Ding wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the vasp forum, one set the parameter like this:
> EDIFF: 1E-07
> EDIFFG: -0.0005
>
> And in the reply it is said, "Anyways, your ediffg is very low. A
> strict force
> criteria is -0.001, and many people would use -0.01 or higher. If
> you look at
> the change in the energy as you go from a force of 0.01 eV/Ang to
> 0.001 eV/Ang,
> it is usually negligible."
>
> You can check the difference of results when you set force_conv_thr
> as 1.d-3 and
> 1.d-4. If the difference is negligible, why use too strict threshold?
>
> Yours,
> Ding Xunlei
>

> Quoting xu yuehua <njuxuyuehua at gmail.com>:

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)