[Pw_forum] question on the pressure in molecular dynamics

Davide Ceresoli ceresoli at sissa.it
Wed Jan 17 18:36:33 CET 2007

Dear Eduardo,
     you are totally right regarding the pressure. At finite temperature,
even at constant volume, you must add the kinetic contribution to the
pressure. This contribution always tends to "expand" the solid and for
high enough temperature, it may become important.

I've looked at the Andersen and Parrinello-Rahman papers, and the
kinetic term is always present in the formulas. The "external" pressure
you apply on the system must to balance both the kinetic term and the
virial term.

So, the kinetic term is correctly taken into account in the P-R
equations of motion, in the code. Could be that this contribution
(which averages to P_kin = (N/V) k_B T) is not printed in output.

Regards,
     Davide