[Pw_forum] About ecutwfc and ecutrho again

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 21 05:52:56 CET 2007

Roughly speaking, the higher ecutwfc among the elements
considered.

Are these ultrasoft or norm conserving ? If the latter,
ecutrho could have been safely kept to 240 Ry.

If the former, my rule of thumb is that rarely a cutoff
greater than 30 Ry is needed, unless subtle magnetic/spin
propertes are sought. Thi sis to say that absolute convergence of
the energy is not the most useful criterion - often one looks
at lattice parameter, bulk modulus, or phonon frequencies as
good indicators of convergence.

				nicola