[Pw_forum] read_file: problem reading .save files

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri May 12 14:09:30 CEST 2006

Dear users,

     while using the cvs version of pwscf (althought not the latest) I
encountered the following problem. When I run a job with pw.x saving
files (like .wfc*, .igk*, .save ...) locally in the scratch dirs of each
node (not accesible from the other nodes), each node will have his .wfc
and .igk, but only one node will write and then be able to access the
.save directory tree.
     If I subsequently run a post processing program (like pp.x,
projwfc.x , pwcond.x ...) that uses the read_file subroutine to access
these data files in the .save directory, ALL the processors try to read
some file in that directory (but obviously not all of them will be able
to see that file, if I use more than one node). The error given is:

     from read_file  : error #         1
     problem reading file /local_scratch/sclauzer/tmp/prefix.save

I also followed the suggestion (from one of pwscf developers) to print
some debug info.
 From some processors I get:

  lexist =  T
  /local_scratch/sclauzer/tmp/prefix.save/data-file.xml

 From the others:

  lexist =  F
  /local_scratch/sclauzer/tmp/prefix.save/data-file.xml

Where the second string is the file every processor is trying to access,
I suppose.

Gabriele