[Pw_forum] warning with configure on origin

José C. Conesa jcconesa at icp.csic.es
Thu Jun 29 12:27:38 CEST 2006

On 28 Jun 2006 at 11:49, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 05:20, Vivek Ranjan wrote:
>
> > I am trying to compile pwscf on multiprocessor sgi origin machine.
> > I run configure, and I get the following warning messages :
>
> > Cannot open ../iotk/src/iotk_attr+COMP: No such file or directory
>
> somebody else had the same problem on a sgi origin. It is a bug in
> some shell command used by the script that finds dependencies.
> Get the */make.depend files from another machine and overwrite
> those in the sgi origin.
>
> Paolo
I had that problem (message sent on May 23th to Pw_forum). A reply by Andrea Ferretti
on May 24th gave the clue for a way to solve it without having to generate the
make.depend files elsewhere:

 Right after having executed configure, execute from the main directory:
    grep @ */make.depend
Any lines revealed there which have a name bracketed between two @ characters
indicate a dependency that should have been solved but was not. You should change
these offending lines in their respective make.depend files in order to have, instead of
@name@, a reference to an object file. Normally the name of this file is name.o
preceded by the appropriate path. The path where such file is to be located must thus
be identified. At the time of making such change in the make.depend files, i.e. before
running make, the name.o file does not exist yet, but a corresponding name.f90 file
should be already in the corresponding directory, that is how you can locate it. Once
these @name@ occurrencies are substituted, running make should find no more this
problem.
In my case, I had offending files in the D3 and PP directories. I cured the problem with
the following:

cd D3
cp make.depend make.depend.tmp
sed "s/@phcom@/..\/PH\/phcom.o/" make.depend.tmp >make.depend
rm make.depend.tmp
cd ../PP
cp make.depend make.depend.tmp
sed "s/@iotk_module@/..\/iotk\/src\/iotk_module.o/" make.depend.tmp >make.depend
rm make.depend.tmp
cd ..

The first sed execution substituted many lines; the second one only one (thus in that
case it was easier to do it with the vi text editor)
Hope this helps
Jose C. Conesa
Instituto de Catalisis y Petroleoquimica, CSIC
Campus de Cantoblanco
28049 Madrid  -  Spain
Phone Nr. 34-91-5854766
Fax Nr. 34-91-5854760