[Pw_forum] symmetries in pw.x

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue Jan 10 19:15:35 CET 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 16:36, Andrea Ferretti wrote:

> my question is about non-self consistent calculations:
> what I expected is that no symmetrization should be performed
> (e.g. when I compute band structure for silicon along a specific
> symmetry line it makes no sense to me to define weights and so on...).

it is not that simple: there are cases in which you may want a grid in
the IBZ, such as for instance to calculate the DOS, or phonons at a finite
q-vector. Presently the number of input k-points is left unchanged if there
is no evidence of further processing, such as tetrahedron, gaussian
broadening, q-vector for phonons etc, in the input data for the nonscf run

> therefore I guess that nosym = .TRUE. should be effectiveless

'effective' or 'effectless'? nosym=.true. does not do what its name would
suggest, i.e. increase the number of k-points because symmetry is not
used; it actually prevents the increase of the number of k-points with
reduced symmetry. It does, or should do, what is explicitly stated in the
INPUT_PW file.

I am quite dissatisfied with the present implementation of the
k-point+symmetry stuff: it is a stratification of different approaches,
and it shows. If you want to try to disentangle this mess, PW/setup.f90
is the place to start from

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it