[Pw_forum] Answers and Questions

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 31 20:41:32 CEST 2006

On 8/31/06, Eric Abel <etabel at hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> From my perspective, I would say that some people are too eager to ask
> questions...the answers they seek are clearly present in the current
> available resources.   It just takes a little elbow grease to find them.
> It's much easier to simply post a question to the forum.  I don't support
> this...researching one's own problem is far more educational than having
> someone answer it for you.  We all learned this in the 8th grade.  That

yep. but you also have to understand, that people can get carried away.
my strategy towards this is to gradually provide less direct information
and move to point out ways to how to obtain the information yourself.
some people need to be helped across the first big barrier before they
realize that investing effort into finding the right answers
themselves pays off.
the whole thing is a matter of finding the right balance and understanding
the background.

> said, I feel that these wiki ideas are great, as they would make it easier
> to find answers.  I don't know if this is planned but the wikis should also
> contain the reference papers which disuss the thoery that goes into pwscf.

<grin>you should have looked into the mailing list archives, this has
been discussed recently</grin>
please head over to:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
and ask to get an account (well actually you can probably
request it in person. ;-) ). i have made the experience, that
people who have just learned a method or how to use a tool
(i.e. advanced beginners) write the best documentation.

cheers,
  axel.