[Pw_forum] Answers and Questions

Eric Abel etabel at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 20:06:55 CEST 2006

I have to agree with Axel here...but I would like to add my two cents.  In
the end, this is a discussion forum...meaning anyone who is a subscriber can
answer the questions...it doesn't necessarily have to be the developers.  By
definition it is an open discussion.

I would consider myself an advance beginner...I feel comfortable dealing
with the input files and various error messages, most of which I was able to
figure out on my own using the forum archive and the QE documentation.  As
far as the physics behind everything, I won't pretend to be an expert, but I
have learned a lot from my time dealing with these sorts of calculations.

>From my perspective, I would say that some people are too eager to ask
questions...the answers they seek are clearly present in the current
available resources.   It just takes a little elbow grease to find them.
It's much easier to simply post a question to the forum.  I don't support
this...researching one's own problem is far more educational than having
someone answer it for you.  We all learned this in the 8th grade.  That
said, I feel that these wiki ideas are great, as they would make it easier
to find answers.  I don't know if this is planned but the wikis should also
contain the reference papers which disuss the thoery that goes into pwscf.

As far as the developers are concerned, I am truly impressed with their
patience and competence.  It is intimidating enough for a graduate student
and pwscf beginner to post to the forum, it would be much worse if those
answering the questions were condescending.  Instead, they treat every
question more or less equally, and for that I applaud them.

Thank you for all of your hard work and patience.

Eric Abel
Ph.D. Student, M.I.T.