[Pw_forum] CVS cp.x

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue Nov 1 18:04:35 CET 2005

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 05:46, Alexander Shaposhnikov wrote:

> It does not work for me [...] The architecture is AMD64,
> ifort9.0 + icc9.0, goto-blas + ACML, mpich2.

the possibility that a subtle bug shows up only for some compilers
or some architectures or some values of the phase of the moon
can never be ruled out. A compiler bug seems to me a more likely
reason, though. There are a few things you can do to in order to
clarify this issue:
- check if later releases of ifort 9.0 (if any) have the same problem
- check if g95 has the same problem (or a different one)
- check if the problem disapperas by disabling optimization
- find the place in the code where the error appears (use grep),
trace it back (for instance: if it is a badly set variable, look for
theplace where is set). If it is a real bug, it shoud be tracked to
a precise location.

In any event, waiting for the problem to disappear is hardly a
good strategy

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it