[Pw_forum] about phonon and structural optimization

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Mon Jul 11 08:55:08 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 00:20, Eyvaz Isaev wrote:

> 2. You can calculate LO/TO splitting for semiconductors and
> insulators  using both dynmat.x and matdyn.x. The result will
> be the same.

the logic is slightly different in the two cases: in dynmat.x
one diagonalises the dynamical matrix at q=0 and supplies
the direction of q; in matdyn.x the direction of q is calculated
from the list of q vectors at which the dynamical matrix is
diagonalised. This is explained in the headers of dynmat.f90
and matdyn.f90, respectively

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it