[Pw_forum] about phonon and structural optimization

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 00:20:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

First, I would like to answer questions about phonons.

1. No, I did nothing with cubic BN, but I remember a
paper of Parlinski.

2. You can calculate LO/TO splitting for
semiconductors and insulators  using both dynmat.x and
matdyn.x. The result will be the same.
Input file for dynmat.x looks like

 phonons of Ti2SiC at 0.0000000,0.0000000,0.0000000
 &input
  amass(1)=47.87,
  amass(2)=28.09,
  amass(3)=12.01,
  asr=.true.,
  fildyn='Ti2SiC.dynG',
  filout='Ti2SiC.out',
  filmol='Ti2SiC.molden'
 &end
0.0000000,0.0000000,0.0000000

Command line as usual
$BIN_DIR/dynmat.x < input_file > output_file

The manual says correct, of course, but in this
particular case you have a choice.

3. For GGA in most cases  larger lattice parameter
will be obtained, so, phonon frequences reduced.

4. 10cm^-1 of 1304cm^-1 is about 10*100/1300=0.8%. I
guess you have got good agreement with experimental
data.

Bests,
Eyvaz.