[Pw_forum] ifc/linux allocation of more than 2 GB dynamical memory

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue May 4 15:44:21 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 13:57, Nicola Marzari wrote:

> we have recently realized that there is an issue running large jobs
> on Linux machines

The issue of maximum file and RAM size on Linux/Intel 32-bit
processors has surfaced here more than once. The code doesn't
impose any explicit limit to the size of files or allocated arrays or
total RAM [*]. The compiler, libraries, operating system, kernel,
or a combination of the above, impose limits. For the specific
case of the Intel compiler, I think that the only hope to find out
what is going on is here:

http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/search?board.id=11&q=2Gb+limit

Paolo

[*] there is a limit coming from storage of pointers used by FFTW
into 32-bit integers; one could easily use 64-bit integers instead.

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it