[Pw_forum] Fermi energy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Dec 23 13:28:09 CET 2004

The Fermi energy is only computed for a _scf calculation _in a_ metal
_in order to fill the correct number of electronic states.
It is not well defined (at 0 K) for an insulator, it can be anywhere in
the gap.
In a band structure calculation it is not calculated since the k-point
used are usually not a representative sampling of the full BZ.

Stefano de Gironcoli