[Pw_forum] bandgap of germanium

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Mon Aug 2 18:01:22 CEST 2004

On Saturday 31 July 2004 11:04, Bachir Bouhafs wrote:

> [...] I think that you have calculated your band structure at the
> experimental  lattice parameter [...] which is greater than the LDA
> value. Which means, that you have applied a negative pressure
> to your crystal, and consequently the band gap increases.

[ please do not post HTML ]

and this is likely to be the main reason of the discrepancy. Other
factors, such as the pseudopotential, cutoff, number of k-points,
may contribute to the difference. For instance: in GaAs, the use
of a nonrelativistic pseudopotential for Ga increases the band gap
by approx. 0.4 eV.

By the way: the tests and examples are NOT meant to give any
realistic description of any realistic systems.

Paolo
Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it