[Pw_forum] Negative phonon frequencies?

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 22:14:41 CEST 2003

Dear Fredric,

Probably negative frequencies are due to lack of the
ASR not imposed for dynamic matrix calculations at the
\Gamma point. But they should not be too large. For
example, as it is mentioned in the PWSCF manual
(troubleshooting) it might be around 50cm^{-1} or
1.6THz.
Nevertheless, you have to be careful about your input
file. I remember, there was a mail from Gothenborg
(Sweden) where negative frequences for ZnS were
obtained due to an error in input file.
I suggest, it depends also on the pseudopotential
quality.

Regards,
Eyvaz.