[QE-developers] SX-Aurora TSUBASA

Tobias Klöffel tobias.kloeffel at fau.de
Thu May 28 21:34:11 CEST 2020

Dear all,

just to share my limited experience with TSUBASA (please correct me if
its wrong):

You can use it with any standard C/C++/Fortran MPI/OpenMP code, the code
runs completely on the card. There is some work for back loading onto
the host CPU and also some work on using the card in a offload fashion,
but I have no clue about the status of these projects. If I remember
correctly those projects are C/C++ LLVM only.
Vectorizable code naturally performs exceptionally good, however,
unvectorizable code is only performed via an ARM core and you will for
sure find some routines that are extremely slow and more or less
irrelevant on standard CPUs.

NEC provides BLAS/FFTW/Lapack/SCALapack, compiling CPMD was possible out
of the box. My biggest issue was indeed the support of OpenMP
parallelization in those libraries as well as support for nested OpenMP
in general.

However, I am looking forward to see the code changes done by NEC, and
of course, the performance.

Best,
Tobias

On 5/28/20 3:21 PM, IWATA NAOKI(岩田 直樹) wrote:

> Dear Ye and Paolo,
>
> Thank you very much for your quick response and your interest in
> SX-Aurora TSUBASA.
>
> I will answer your questions and will provide the code to you later.
>
> At  this moment, please look at the following site:
>
> https://www.hpc.nec/index.en
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Naoki Iwata.

M.Sc. Tobias Klöffel
HPC (High Performance Computing) group
Erlangen Regional Computing Center(RRZE)
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Martensstr. 1
91058 Erlangen

Room: 1.133
Phone: +49 (0) 9131 / 85 - 20101