[QE-developers] Implement a functional from libxc in QE

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed May 6 20:06:44 CEST 2020

Well, transition-metal oxides can be a good example - see the work here
from the "U" gang for the phonons in CoO - major differences:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.06195 (paper is now published in PRB).

So, the question is when is EXX better than Hubbard, and one would want
DFPT+EXX rather than DFPT+U (that is available)? I think for localized
d/f orbitals the Hubbard approach is nicer, much less expensive, and
tuned to the actual system studied.

In something where self-interaciton is less well identifiable (say, an
oxidized thiophene where the hole is difficult to describe), well, one
could not use U and would hope that EXX helps.

				nicola