[QE-developers] Sum rule not valid for the second order IFCs given by QE?

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 18:01:54 CEST 2020

Interesting. I report here a few comments I received from other people
about the second sum rule:

   1. try to compute it on the dynamical matrix at Gamma for the supercell
   you can obtain with "matdyn.x" starting from interatomic the force constants
   2. it seems to be associated with a rotation or homogeneous deformation
   and should be zero only at equilibrium (with respect to both internal
   coordinates and volume): try to compute it as a function of the volume.
   3. it weights more heavily force constants that are far from the origin.
   These are truncated in a rather arbitrary way, so it might be tricky to get
   it with a good degree of accuracy

Paolo