[QE-developers] using git

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Fri Mar 30 11:41:58 CEST 2018

Ciao Lorenzo

there is this too brief thing in the repository

https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

any improvement is warmly welcome !!!

All new commits should be pushed   on   the develop branch.

About once a week, if there are not particular issues,  the master
branch is aligned to the develop one. I just did the alignment this
morning after almost 2 weeks ...

The automatic testing with  the buildbot  is currently done on the
master in order to test a significant number of changes all together.  I
only  run parallel tests on intel and gfortran before merging develop to
master.

Tags for releases are obviously pushed directly to the master branch,
and download of zipped archives should also be done from the master
branch. This  is why master is still the default branch on the repository.

The merge or pull request procedure using a fork is the recommended one.

Pushing directly to develop or master I think should be reserved to
maintenance or urgent bug fixes.

It would be also nice to simplify as most as possible the commit
history  of the branch, or when appropriate, use the
squash-in-one-commit  option when submitting the merge request.

thanks again

greetings - Pietro