[Q-e-developers] FORD for auto-geretaed documentation from source-code

Filippo SPIGA filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Sun Jan 15 14:17:31 CET 2017

Documentation, especially the one embedded in the source code, is still a weak spot for us.

FORD [1] is an automatic documentation generator for modern Fortran programs. Thanks to Samuel Ponce' and Martin Shilipf we have a full prototype of how auto-generated documentation for PWscf will look like this = http://www.quantum-espresso.org/ford/pw/doc/  (the website is a bit slow, not FORD fault but our VM fault... bear with it, please). It is far than perfect, it can only get better if the source code contains all the information needed. This will only happen if everybody contribute to it!

Feedbacks are appreciated, it will be very useful to hear from all of you about what should be in it and what should be not. What should be available and visible, what is not necessary and can be left undocumented or hidden in the generated HTML. I leave Samuel and Martin add more details about FORD since they have more experience than me!

[1] https://github.com/cmacmackin/ford

--
Filippo SPIGA ~ Quantum ESPRESSO Foundation ~ http://www.quantum-espresso.org