[Q-e-developers] Massive memory leak caused by intel 2017.1

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Tue Feb 21 14:35:17 CET 2017

Hello,
I'm experiencing a massive memory leak in pw.x when compiled with the very last ifort:
ifort (IFORT) 17.0.1 20161005

I could track the source of  the leak to PW/src/addusdens.f90, and more precisely to the line
  ALLOCATE ( skk(ngm,nab), tbecsum(nij,nab,nspin_mag), aux2(ngm,nij) )

which allocates 3 variable that should be freed further down (line 135) but for some bug (?)
aren't.

I tried to change the subroutine around, and even to comment almost all of it out, in case
some of the instructions between ALLOCATE and DEALLOCATE corrupts the stack and
render the deallocation impossible. The problem persisted. Also compiling the subroutine
without optimization had no effect.

Can anybody with access to this compiler verify if they have the same problem?

Of course this is an intel problem, not a QE one, but considered that ifort is the most
popular compiler, and that this bug affects the latest version I'm afraid it would be better to
fix this issue, one way or another, before releasing QE 6.1, or risk being submerged by
complaints.

I found this problem to occur with both 2017.0 and 2017.1 versions, but not with version
14.0.1.

bye

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto