[Q-e-developers] [Pw_forum] Increasing the FFT grid spacing/ using wavefunction to provide initial charge density

Buongiorno Nardelli, Marco Marco.BuongiornoNardelli at unt.edu
Fri Sep 30 14:53:43 CEST 2016

Ciao Lorenzo,
actually, there is such an automatic solution to your problem, without invoking Wannier functions. In the past two years we have introduced a procedure based on the direct projection of the DFT wavefunctions onto the pseudoatomic orbitals of the pseudopotentials that allows to generate an exact local representation of the Hamiltonian that can be used for many purposes, including interpolation on ultra-fine k-meshes.
The procedure is coded in the WanT package and it will also be released soon as a module of AFLOWπ, a medium-throughput framework developed by Marco Fornari’s group within the AFLOW.org<http://aflow.org> consortium.
As for the papers:
Luis A. Agapito, Andrea Ferretti, Arrigo Calzolari, Stefano Curtarolo and Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, Effective and accurate representation of extended Bloch states on finite Hilbert spaces, Phys. Rev. B 88,165127 (2013).
Luis A. Agapito, Sohrab Ismail-Beigi, Stefano Curtarolo, Marco Fornari and Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, Accurate Tight-Binding Hamiltonian Matrices from Ab-Initio Calculations: Minimal Basis Sets, Phys. Rev. B93, 035104 (2016) also at https://arxiv.org/abs/1509.02558
Luis A. Agapito, Marco Fornari, Davide Ceresoli, Andrea Ferretti, Stefano Curtarolo and Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, Accurate Tight-Binding Hamiltonians for 2D and Layered Materials, Phys. Rev. B 93, 125137 (2016) also at https://arxiv.org/abs/1601.02657
Pino D'Amico, Luis A. Agapito, Alessandra Catellani, Alice Ruini, Stefano Curtarolo, Marco Fornari, Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, Arrigo Calzolari, Accurate ab initio tight-binding Hamiltonians: effective tools for electronic transport and optical spectroscopy from first principles, arXiv https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.05685
Hope this helps,
marco

PS this technique is also the foundation for the ACBN0 functional that we have developed:
Luis A. Agapito, Stefano Curtarolo, and Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, Reformulation of DFT+U as a Pseudohybrid Hubbard Density Functional for Accelerated Materials Discovery, Phys. Rev. X 5, 011006 (2015)

Marco Buongiorno Nardelli, PhD
University Distinguished Research Professor
Physics, Chemistry and iARTA, Initiative for Advanced Research in Technology and the Arts
University of North Texas
http://ermes.unt.edu
http://www.materialssoundmusic.com