[Q-e-developers] [Pw_forum] Compilation of PW

Samuel Poncé samuel.pon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:56:48 CEST 2016

Hi Filippo,

I agree, this is something that needs to be discussed at some point to
ensure viability of the project.

Coming back to the install/makedeps.sh script, there is a problem.

The problem is that the script is need before "make" but also rely on
"make".

Indeed, the only way to make it work is to do the following:

make veryclean
./configure

make -C Modules version

cd  install;gzip -dc ../archive/iotk-1.2.beta.tar.gz | (cd ../; tar -xvf -)
cp iotk_config.h ../S3DE/iotk/include/iotk_config.h
cd ../; ln -fs S3DE/iotk iotk

sh install/makedeps.sh

Therefore those lines should be included either in the configure or in the
install/makedeps.sh script.

I can commit the change if you wish? Would you prefer to have that in
"configure" or in "makedeps.sh" ?

Best,

Samuel & Martin

On 28 March 2016 at 16:56, Filippo Spiga <filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
> wrote:

> Hello Samuel,
>
> On 28 Mar 2016, at 16:18, Samuel Poncé <samuel.pon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Concerning the limitation of the number of commits, I guess the problem
> is that the .svn history starts to be huge.
>
> I do not see a problem here, "huge" in term of number of commits or "huge"
> in term of space? For the second case, there are bigger SVN repositories on
> QE-FORGE. "q-e" is ok-ish.
>
> A fresh SVN checkout takes time but a fresh GIT clone is way faster. The
> GIT mirror simplifies a lof of network operations because of the way GIT is
> engineered compared to SVN. I had a proposal for mixed SVN-GIT that can be
> a candidate solution to avoid "waterfall commits" but it requires people to
> change a bit their way of contributing and a more pro-active way of
> branching and merging.
>

> > There is also the problem of qe-forge being temporarily inaccessible
> after a commit (this one is weird).
>
> I wish I can tell why this happen, I suspect it is a hook script in the
> current QE-FORGE that has been activated automatically while doing cleaning
> routine operations on the server side. The problem may naturally disappear
> when we move to a new QE-FORGE portal. No ETA is defined yet but it must
> happen before September.
>

> > A suggestion might be to restart clean at the next major QE release, off
> course saving the history file somewhere?
>
> This is something I personally prefer to avoid. During the migration of
> the SVN repository on the new QE-FORGE we will have the opportunity to
> delete completely all inactive branches and purge away very old big files
> stored at the early stages of the repository history. This will make the
> "size" smaller while keeping full historical record.
>
> I will discourage the discontinuity of the SVN legacy repository unless
> drastically changes the collaborative development are applied. IMHO the
> community is not ready.
>
> I hope this topic (that is bery important to ensure sustainability of QE
> project going forward) will be on the agenda of the next plenary QE
> developer meeting early 2017.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Filippo SPIGA
> * Sent from my iPhone, sorry for typos *

    Dr. Samuel Poncé
    Department of Materials
    University of Oxford
    Parks Road