[Q-e-developers] [Pw_forum] Compilation of PW

Filippo Spiga filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Mon Mar 28 17:56:32 CEST 2016

Hello Samuel,

On 28 Mar 2016, at 16:18, Samuel Poncé <samuel.pon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Concerning the limitation of the number of commits, I guess the problem is that the .svn history starts to be huge.

I do not see a problem here, "huge" in term of number of commits or "huge" in term of space? For the second case, there are bigger SVN repositories on QE-FORGE. "q-e" is ok-ish.

A fresh SVN checkout takes time but a fresh GIT clone is way faster. The GIT mirror simplifies a lof of network operations because of the way GIT is engineered compared to SVN. I had a proposal for mixed SVN-GIT that can be a candidate solution to avoid "waterfall commits" but it requires people to change a bit their way of contributing and a more pro-active way of branching and merging.

> There is also the problem of qe-forge being temporarily inaccessible after a commit (this one is weird).

I wish I can tell why this happen, I suspect it is a hook script in the current QE-FORGE that has been activated automatically while doing cleaning routine operations on the server side. The problem may naturally disappear when we move to a new QE-FORGE portal. No ETA is defined yet but it must happen before September.

> A suggestion might be to restart clean at the next major QE release, off course saving the history file somewhere?

This is something I personally prefer to avoid. During the migration of the SVN repository on the new QE-FORGE we will have the opportunity to delete completely all inactive branches and purge away very old big files stored at the early stages of the repository history. This will make the "size" smaller while keeping full historical record.

I will discourage the discontinuity of the SVN legacy repository unless drastically changes the collaborative development are applied. IMHO the community is not ready.

I hope this topic (that is bery important to ensure sustainability of QE project going forward) will be on the agenda of the next plenary QE developer meeting early 2017.

Cheers

--
Filippo SPIGA
* Sent from my iPhone, sorry for typos *