[Q-e-developers] Questions about BFGS

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:56:10 CEST 2016

Dear Chen (Bonnie)

the proper place where to ask such questions is the pw_forum at pwscf.org.
Anyway:
- there are better pseudopotentials than the FHI ones, especially when
nasty elements like Ce are present
- I don't know about the specific material, but it is not likely that you
will get sensible results from simple PBE in a material containing Ce
- there is no point in having ecutrho > 4*ecutwfc with norm-conserving
pseudopotentials (FHI ones are)
- the threshold for self-consistency (conv_thr) is too large: it should be
set to 10^-6 or smaller
- the threshold for force convergence (force_conv_thr) is way too small:
try 10^-4 or larger
- same for threshold for energy convergence (force_conv_thr)

Paolo