[Q-e-developers] Band parallelization

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Mon Jun 17 17:10:30 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 16:30 +0200, nicola varini wrote:

> Paolo, what kind of material do you think is useful to have?
> A tutorial or a user guide or some guidelines?

as a first approximation, any kind of material. There is
nothing (rien nichts niente nada ничего موشي ) right now
in the documentation. There is just a single mention of
option "-nband" or "-nb" in Doc/user_guide.tex, and this
mention in PW/examples/EXX_example/README:
  An experimental parallelization on the band structure
  is also available (pw.x -nbgrp N)
My specidic original motivation for my question is to
figure out what the "smallmem" option exactly does and
in which cases the distribution of arrays dimensioned
(nkb,nbnd) hidden in "calbec" is used. For calculations
in large unit cells, O(1000) atoms or so, distributing
such arrays (after reducing them to the strict minimum)
is often needed, but it seems to me that using band
distribution slows down things. An alternative solution
is to split the sum over beta functions.

P.
--
 Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,