[Q-e-developers] Problems converging anions in vacuum

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat May 12 22:44:33 CEST 2012

I think that for some reason, real or spurious, ghost or negative
affinity, there is a delocalized state close to the localized state that
almost converges and then suddenly the new state gets occupied and self
consistency goes bananas.
Notice however that the total energy of the first problematic iteration
is LOWER than the one the system was converging to. so what happens is
that the system suddenly finds a "better" solution and runs for it.

I would (sorry if you already did it)
- start from atomic+random wfcs
- compute more that the strict minimum nbnd
- apply martyna-tuckerman or counter charge correction to have the zero
of the  potential properly set
- monitor eigenvalues at each iteration (iprint=1)
- study what happens as the cell size is increased.

stefano