[Q-e-developers] makedeps.sh

Riccardo Di Meo dimeo at democritos.it
Tue Apr 19 12:49:04 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I'm working on a package that requires espresso in order to work
(namely, the MS2 subsystem) and since some of the files that I need to
include in espresso while compiling have many dependencies, I was
wondering about the purpose of some files in the install directory.

In particular, the file makedeps.sh came to my attention and I was
asking myself if it is supposed to be used by some configure related
script dynamically (e.g. it takes a part in the installation process
while the user configures and compiles the espresso package) or if the
script is there just for the developers convenience (to simplify the
process of finding out and configure the distribution). Could you please
tell me which scenario is correct (if any)?

I have also noticed that such script seems to work fine if the espresso
source tree is at least partially compiled (at least up to the iotk) but
it seems not to work if I start from a fresh directory/distclean
configuration. Am I missing a preliminary step, or being it probably a
developer utility is it supposed to work in that way?

Last thing: using the aforementioned trick (configure/make and then
makedeps.sh) the scipt seems to work fine, however, at least in my case,
looks like it's fooled by an #include "something.f90" which I have in my
code (I know it isn't good practice, however it avoids a circular
dependency): is there a way to work around this?

Thank you in advance
Cheers,
Riccardo Di Meo