[Wannier] calculations of electric polarization in BaTiO3

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 2 07:27:20 CET 2009

Dear EunMe Lee,

happy new year, and welcome to wannier.

Short answer: you can consider the center of each Wannier function
as a "classical" electron. So, the vectorial sum of all the Wannier
centers gives you an overall electronic polarization vector (you need
to multiply it by 2, if spin unpolarized, then by the charge of one
electron, and divide it by the volume of the unit cell). The
*difference* in this polarization vector between two phases (e.g. cubic
and tetragonal) gives you the *physical* quantity that you want (you
also need to add the same, trivial, for the ionic valence charges, to
have the total polarization difference).

You need to pay attention to the fact that each Wannier center can be
located in one unit cell, or in any other periodic repetition, so you
need consistency in where your Wannier centers are located in the two
calculations, and also on other details (certain high symmetry cubic
phases can have an unusual polarization vector).

Long answer: read carefully the introductory review (especially the
part on mapping polarization onto Wannier centers) "Theory of
Polarization: a modern approach" by Resta and Vanderbilt, available
as publication 198 from David Vanderbilt website:
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/pubs/pub_list.html

			nicola