[Pw_forum] Change in the number of qe-forge users

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu May 24 15:51:32 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 08:58:08AM +0200, Layla Martin-Samos wrote:
> Dear all, we are thinking in moving qe-forge from fusionforge to gforge.

What are the reasons for this?

The Debian project is running on FusionForge (http://alioth.debian.org/)
and as far as I know, there are no big issues with this; Alioth hosts
almost 1000 projects and has more than 10000 registered users.

> Unfortunately it seems that gforge ask for a commercial License which
> pro-year prince will depends on the number of users.

There seems to be a community edition available; unless, of course, you
require one of the features only available in the Advanced Server
product?

> As all of you know, nor Quantum ESPRESSO nor qe-forge have any direct
> financial support, so we can not afford big expenses. In order to
> reduce potential costs of the gforge commercial License, our system
> administrator has eliminated all the qe-forge users that are not bound
> to any qe-forge project. Depending on the License price then or we
> move to gforge or we stay with fusionforge. In any case we will let
> you know in order to rationalize the qe-forge users.

This looks like a bad decision if you want to create an inclusive
community.  Users who want to submit bug reports or patches should be
able to register and get an account without negative influence on the
project's finances.  Some of those users might become developers later
on.

Cheers,

Michael