[Pw_forum] DOS at Ef

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Wed Mar 24 14:40:37 CET 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:24 +0100, Gabriele Sclauzero <sclauzer at sissa.it>
wrote:
> the Fermi energy is printed only at the end of calculations for metals.
> In the case of insulators it is not defined. You can take any energy in
> the gap as reference value for
> the DOS plot.

I would add a small note on this: if for an insulator, or an isolated
system, you specify a number of bands larger than the strict minimum
(nelec/2) than you will get in output the LUMO and HOMO level. If you
instead use the minimum number of bands than you can still get the HOMO,
but you have to get it yourself from the bands printout, which can be a
bit annoying but does not require any specific skill. Nevertheless, those
number are good for isolated systems, not for insulator. The reason is
that for an insulator you will probably use reciprocal-space grid with a
small number of kpoints, hence the real HOMO and the real LUMO may as well
be in point which is not in the grid. In order to have more accurate
values you can do an NSCF calculation with a few more bands and many more
kpoints.

regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto

*** Note: my affiliation has changed! please send future
correspondence to: <Lorenzo.Paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> ***

post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6
phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 74 89
www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/