[Pw_forum] DOS at Ef

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Mar 24 13:31:24 CET 2010

Dear all,

Giovanni Cantele wrote:
>>> (neither for scf -  nor for nscf - calculations) or in the out files
>>> of PP codes (dos.x and projwfc.x.).

the Fermi energy is printed only at the end of calculations for metals. In the case of
insulators it is not defined. You can take any energy in the gap as reference value for
the DOS plot.

>>> How can I find this value?
>> Using dos.x, you can obtain the Ef value by using its definition basing
>> on number occupied electrons, but, in my opinion, this way is not such
>> accurate.

For metals the Fermi level determined in this way is as accurate as in the previous scf or
nscf calculation as long as you use the same kind and width of smearing.
Anyway, if you simply want to visualize the DOS you should use gaussians in order to avoid
negative densities in the plot.

When dealing with insulators there's no Fermi level, but you can determined to a desired
accuracy the top of the valence band, or, if you want, the energy of the HOMO.
To my knowledge the best way is to use the tetrahedron method (specify
occupations='tetrahedra' in the nscf run): you don't need to specify any smearing and you
can control the accuracy by comparing the DOS obtained with increasingly large k-points
grids (in the nscf calculation).

HTH

GS