[Pw_forum] Acoustic branches

merlin.meheut at impmc.jussieu.fr merlin.meheut at impmc.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 26 16:16:16 CET 2007

Dear Stefano,

My point is to compute the so-called "acoustic contribution" to
thermodynamical
properties such as heat capacity or so. It is commonly used in
empirical models
calculations (such as Debye-Einstein models). Moreover, I am working
with big structures, and I have some trouble obtaining good dispersion
curves near Gamma, so I would like to extract information from the
acoustic branches over the complete Brillouin zone. This is related to
the point of calculating thermodynamic properties with only gamma
frequencies, so that a model has to be set for the acoustic part (
because, as it goes to zero, it can create some singularities). I am
not sure to be very clear myself, this is exploratory.
To say it in a different way, experimentally we have information on
optical frequencies (at gamma point) but not easily on what's below
(except sound wave velocity but as I said before I have some trouble
having a good curve at low q for acoustic modes ). The goal is to
calculate the contribution of those frequencies on which we have no
information by optical spectroscopy.

Thanks in any case for your idea of "following the eigenvectors", this
is probably the better one. Is there an easy way to do it? (I think I
know the answer).

Best wishes,

Merlin