[Pw_forum] Compile and Configure Issue

Timothy A.V. Teatro tim_teatro at rogers.com
Fri Aug 12 06:11:48 CEST 2005

Hello Everyone.

I'm afraid I have a configuration question. I'm trying to put espresso
on a reasonably new cluster. It uses the Portland Group compilers, but
it seems that the configure script has a few problems with it.

The cluster is of HP make with 193 Opteron CPUs. It's running Fedora Core 3.

The compiler version is 5.2-4

When I run the configure script, I get the following:

-bash-2.05b$ ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking architecture... x86_64
configure: WARNING: unsupported architecture
checking for f90... no
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name... configure:
error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

The contents of the config.log file:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by ESPRESSO configure 2.1, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = node1
uname -m = x86_64
uname -r = 2.6.11.11 <http://2.6.11.11/>
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #22 SMP Tue Jun 28 16:33:54 EDT 2005

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = x86_64
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
hostinfo               = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = unknown
/bin/universe          = unknown

PATH: /home/timtro/bin/x86_64
PATH: /home/timtro/bin
PATH: /opt/pgi/linux86-64/5.2/bin
PATH: /usr/kerberos/bin
PATH: /opt/pathscale/bin
PATH: /usr/local/bin
PATH: /bin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin
PATH: /opt/pathscale/bin
PATH: /opt/sq/bin

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:1377: checking build system type
configure:1395: result: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
configure:1493: WARNING: unsupported architecture
configure:1559: checking for f90
configure:1588: result: no
configure:1600: checking for Fortran 77 compiler version
configure:1603:  --version </dev/null >&5
./configure: line 1: --version: command not found
configure:1606: $? = 127
configure:1608:  -v </dev/null >&5
./configure: line 1: -v: command not found
configure:1611: $? = 127
configure:1613:  -V </dev/null >&5
./configure: line 1: -V: command not found
configure:1616: $? = 127
configure:1630: checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name
configure:1633:    conftest.f  >&5
./configure: line 1: conftest.f: command not found
configure:1636: $? = 127
configure: failed program was:
|       program main
|
|       end
configure:1675: error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
ac_cv_build_alias=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
ac_cv_env_CC_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_value=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPP_set=
ac_cv_env_CPP_value=
ac_cv_env_F77_set=
ac_cv_env_F77_value=
ac_cv_env_FFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_FFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

CC=''
CFLAGS=''
CPP=''
CPPFLAGS=''
DEFS=''
ECHO_C=''
ECHO_N='-n'
ECHO_T=''
EGREP=''
EXEEXT=''
F77=''
FFLAGS=''
LDFLAGS=''
LIBOBJS=''
LIBS=''
LTLIBOBJS=''
OBJEXT=''
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=''
PACKAGE_NAME='ESPRESSO'
PACKAGE_STRING='ESPRESSO 2.1'
PACKAGE_TARNAME='espresso'
PACKAGE_VERSION='2.1'
PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
SET_MAKE=''
SHELL='/bin/sh'
ac_ct_CC=''
ac_ct_F77=''
ar=''
arflags=''
bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
build='x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
build_alias=''
build_cpu='x86_64'
build_os='linux-gnu'
build_vendor='unknown'
cc=''
cflags=''
cpp=''
cppflags=''
datadir='${prefix}/share'
dflags=''
exec_prefix='NONE'
f77=''
f90=' f90'
f90flags=''
f90flags_noopt=''
f90rule=''
fdflags=''
fflags=''
fflags_noopt=''
host_alias=''
ifftw=''
imodule=''
includedir='${prefix}/include'
infodir='${prefix}/info'
ld=''
ldflags=''
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
libs=''
localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
mandir='${prefix}/man'
mylib=''
oldincludedir='/usr/include'
pre_fdflags=''
prefix='NONE'
program_transform_name='s,x,x,'
ranlib=''
sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com'
sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc'
target_alias=''

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME "ESPRESSO"
#define PACKAGE_STRING "ESPRESSO 2.1"
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "espresso"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.1"

configure: exit 77

I've tried modifying the script, but most of what goes on in that script
is a little over my head. I've tried forcing it to check only for the
PGI compilers, but that didn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
Timothy A.V. Teatro
University of Ontario Institute of Technology