[Wannier] SCDM-k method and centering of WFs

Giovanni Pizzi giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch
Tue Nov 15 10:37:34 CET 2022

Dear Marco,
unfortunately it's not so easy to combine SCDM with symmetries. This is a topic of research, and we are working for instance on other approaches that do not use SCDM to get automatically WFs that are instead atom-centred with symmetries.

If you are working on specific systems, the only suggestion is to try to look better into the systems and get WFs in the "usual" way, specifying initial projections close to what you want to get.
You can also use the SLWF (selectively-localised WFs) and the SAWF (symmetry-adapted) routines, implemented in W90, to see if they help for your case (look also at the tutorials http://www.wannier.org/support/, e.g. #21, #22 and #26).

For the delocalised orbitals, it's hard to say without knowing more details on the system (and even there, it requires careful testing in multiple configurations). But one general comment (not sure it applies to you) is that rather than removing the problematic ones, you might want to check if adding a few more bands helps, or if "playing" with the disentanglement windows helps (also, to check: is the disentanglement converged? Are the WFs real-values if you plot them in real space?)

Hope this helps.
Best,
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Pizzi
Theory and Simulation of Materials and MARVEL, EPFL