[Wannier] interband matrix elements of velocity operator in geninterp.f90

Ivo Souza ivo_souza at ehu.es
Fri Jul 9 15:58:44 CEST 2021

Dear Sophie,

One reason why the intraband and interband velocities are computed in
separate parts of the code may be that, in the specific projects for
which those parts of the code were originally written, the full velocity
matrix was not needed. For example, in the paper you mention the
intraband velocity is used for the low-field Hall coefficient in Sec.
III, and the interband velocity is used for the interband magnetic
circular dichroism in Sec. IV.

The other justification may be that the full optical conductivity is
usually separated into intraband and interband parts, which are then
computed separately.

But I agree that it might make sense to give the option to to compute
the full velocity matrix. And if you have an application in mind that
would benefit from that option, that could be a good reason to do it.

Perhaps the discussion of how to go about implementing this could take
place on the GitHub page of the code, e.g., by raising an issue or
making a pull request.

Best,

Ivo Souza

Centro de Fisica de Materiales