[Wannier] MPI version large systems

Jackson, Jerome (STFC,DL,SC) jerome.jackson at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 11:48:20 CET 2021

Dear Jonathan,

I did some test calculation with 1685 bands and 1296 Wannier functions, so only half the size of yours, but "ballpark"-ish.  In that case the MMN and AMN were much smaller (intentionally), at 1.2G and 109M; with 1 k-point (but not using the gamma-only mode) it took about 18h in serial on some ordinary xeon machine.  I think wannierisation scales more or less like ~ n_wann^2 (and disentanglement n_wann^3).  So it should be quite a bit faster than you seem to be seeing.

Do you know how much memory each MPI process is using?  How many MPI processes are you running on the 512G machine?  Could it be that memory is after all being exhausted?
Yours,
Jerome Jackson.

--
STFC Scientific Computing Department