[Wannier] Matrix elements of the Hamiltonian

Robert Peyton Cline Robert.Cline at colorado.edu
Tue May 26 19:29:15 CEST 2020

Dear Fhokrul,

In my experience with my own work (non spin-polarized CdS and CdSe
calculations), the Hamiltonian matrix elements are technically complex due
to small numerical imprecision.  My strongest elements might be order 1 eV
for the real part and order 10^-9 eV for the imaginary part.  While
technically complex, I think you would agree this value is basically real.
My weakest elements are perhaps 10^-9 eV for both the real and imaginary
parts, i.e. these elements are really basically 0.  I can't say how this
translates to your system, but in my experience for systems like mine (non
spin-polarized semiconductors), if the Wannier orbitals you get out are
mostly real, as they should be, then the Hamiltonian elements will be
mostly real as well.

You can check this by increasing the precision of the printed *hr.dat
file.  Or you can extract the unitary matrices U(k) from the *.chk file
(they are double precision in this file, 16 or 17 digits for each element)
and build your Hamiltonian from the DFT eigenvalues yourself in, say,
Matlab.

Best,
Peyton Cline
5th year PhD Student