[Wannier] Kramers degeneracy broken by Wannier interpolation

Antimo Marrazzo antimo.marrazzo at epfl.ch
Thu Jun 22 13:13:13 CEST 2017

On 06/21/2017 02:32 PM, Aguilera, Irene wrote:
> For those q points there is a small splitting between the Kramers
> partners. So, I think I understand why this happens and I understand
> how to improve it and make the splitting negligible (increasing the k
> points in the DFT calculation does it).
Dear Irene,

increasing the DFT k-points grid helps for sure, but (if you are using
disentanglement) playing with the windows (especially the frozen ones)
may actually help a lot (and keeping a coarse k-points grid will help
you with GW). Typically in a good (converged minimization, low spreads)
wannierization that effect should be negligible, even with rather coarse
k-points grids.

> But I cannot find a solution to obtain real degeneracies and I could
> not find discussions about this issue in the literature or in the forum.
>
> Are there approaches to solve this problem? How can one symmetrize
> H(q)? Can one impose some conditions on H(R) (the Hamiltonian in real
> space) such that H(q) presents the correct symmetries?
In general yes, look at the work of R. Sakuma
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.87.235109 on symmetry-adapted MLWF and
examples 21-22 of the latest W90 release.

HTH,

Antimo

--
Antimo Marrazzo