[Wannier] problem running wannier90.x

szaboa szaboa at iis.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 2 19:31:02 CEST 2015

The amn, mmn, and eig files you should generate first with the DFT
simulator you use, before running wannier90. To do so you need to have a
.win file in the directory, specifying the number (and maybe the exact
order) of bands you want to use and the initial projections, but it is
read by the DFT code, not by wannier90 in this first phase. In VASP you
need to set the LWANNIER90 = .TRUE. tag to generate these input files,
but it only works if during the compilation VASP was linked together
with the wannier90 libraries. With quantum espresso you have to run
pw2wannier after running a self-consistent simulation. The
"wannierization" (finding the maximally localized Wannier functions),
what the wannier90 code does, only works after these input files are
generated by the DFT simulator. When you have every input, make sure
that all your files are named the same way (e.g: silicon.amn,
silicon.eig, silicon.mmn, silicon.win), and run wannier90.x with the
seedname as the input ("wannier90.x silicon" in this case). And check
the error message in the .werr file when something is wrong. It can be
more informative than what you get on the stdout.

Best,
Aron Szabo

On 2015-04-02 18:52, Elio Physics wrote:
> [...]
>> 0.2500 0.2500 0.5000
>> 0.2500 0.5000 0.5000
>> 0.2500 0.7500 0.5000
>> 0.5000 0.0000 0.5000
>> 0.5000 0.2500 0.5000
>> 0.5000 0.5000 0.5000
>> 0.5000 0.7500 0.5000
>> 0.7500 0.0000 0.5000
>> 0.7500 0.2500 0.5000
>> 0.7500 0.5000 0.5000
>> 0.7500 0.7500 0.5000
>> 0.0000 0.0000 0.7500
>> 0.0000 0.2500 0.7500
>> 0.0000 0.5000 0.7500
>> 0.0000 0.7500 0.7500
>> 0.2500 0.0000 0.7500
>> 0.2500 0.2500 0.7500
>> 0.2500 0.5000 0.7500
>> 0.2500 0.7500 0.7500
>> 0.5000 0.0000 0.7500
>> 0.5000 0.2500 0.7500
>> 0.5000 0.5000 0.7500
>> 0.5000 0.7500 0.7500
>> 0.7500 0.0000 0.7500
>> 0.7500 0.2500 0.7500
>> 0.7500 0.5000 0.7500
>> 0.7500 0.7500 0.7500
>> End kpoints
>>
>> -------------------------
>> From: wjshi.phys at gmail.com
>> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:18:20 +0800
>> Subject: Re: [Wannier] problem running wannier90.x
>> To: elio-physics at live.com
>> CC: wannier at quantum-espresso.org
>>
>> Hi Elio,
>>
>> I can answer your first question. This is because your Linux
>> environment variable is incorrect. You must source the intel mkl by
>> something like
>> ``source PATH/mklvars.sh intel64'' (PATH is your mkl install path).
>> You can add this in your ~/.bashrc file. Or you can compile your
>> wannier90.x by static:
>>
>> LIBS = ${MKLROOT}/libem64t/libmkl_solver_lp64_sequential.a
>> -Wl,--start-group ${MKLROOT}/libem64t/libmkl_intel_lp64.a
>> ${MKLROOT}/libem64t/libmkl_core.a
>> ${MKLROOT}/libem64t/libmkl_sequential.a -Wl,--end-group -lpthread -lm
>>
>> This website will be helpful:
>>
>> https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/
>> [2]
>>
>> Wish my answer is helpful.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Wu-Jun Shi
>> Department of Physics
>> Tsinghua University
>> Beijing, P.R. China

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have compiled the WANNIER package and obtained the executables
>>> (wannier90.x and postw90.x). However when I try to run the example, I
>>> face two problems:
>>>
>>> (1) If I try to run the executable from the home directory of the
>>> form:
>>>
>>> /home_cluster/fis718/........./wannier90.x silicon
>>>
>>> i get the following error:
>>>
>>> error while loading shared libraries: libmkl_core.so: cannot open
>>> shared object file: No such file or directory. I tried to correct
>>> this error but in vain. My make.sys file is the following:

>>> # For Linux with intel version 11/12 on 64bit machines
>>> COMMS=mpi
>>> MPIF90=mpiifort
>>> FCOPTS=-O2