[Wannier] adding two different systems or merging two systems to form one

Giovanni Pizzi giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch
Mon Nov 17 16:14:08 CET 2014

Dear Zeina,
one possibility is to simulate the "merging" region only, together with enough graphene on one side and CNT on the other so that the hopping energies and onsite energies far away from the interface are the same of the pristine graphene and CNT only.
You can then use the correct hopping and onsite energies for each region (those in the intermediate region from this last simulation, and the hoppings far away from the two pristine simulations). This can be done with Wannier90 or with other codes that calculate the transmission given the proper Tight-Binding Hamiltonian.
In practice, things can get more complicated, e.g. if there is charge accumulation that can shift the relative hopping energies of the two materials, but this depends on the specific material.

Otherwise, if the global system is not too big, you can try to simulate directly the whole system. Just remember that the code still assumes periodic boundary conditions in the 1D direction, so you will probably need to create, e.g., a system with two junctions (from CNT to graphene and then back to CNT); however in this case, you will measure the conductance through both junctions, that may or may not be what you want.

Best,

Giovanni

--
Giovanni Pizzi