[Wannier] wannier WF and Hamiltonian

szaboa szaboa at iis.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 30 23:31:41 CET 2014

Dear Liping,

The total spread is just the sum of all the spreads of the WFs, so it's
value depends on the number of WFs. Instead you should look at the
individual WF spreads. It might depend on the system, but in my
experience they should be in the order of a few (2-3) Angstrom^2 when
everything goes fine.

Before calculating the Wannier functions, you should calculate the band
structure of your system, and decide which bands you want to reproduce
with WFs. You are probably interested in the ones close to Fermi energy.
If you have a set of bands that are separated from the others, then you
should use the exclude_bands [n1-n2] command in the wannier90.win file
to exclude all the other bands.

If it's not the case, then you need to use the disentanglement method,
where you have to specify an inner energy window, where the bands will
be identical to the bloch states, and an outer, that's used to
disentangle the bands. In this case increasing the size of the inner
window will increase the spread of the WFs, so you should only cover the
energy range with it that you want to reproduce very accurately.

Yes, the number of the projections must be the same as the Wannier
functions. One initial projection corresponds to one WF. And the number
of WF's must be the same as the number of input bands if those bands are
not entangled.

To make good initial projections, you should look at the primary
character of the considered bands. In Vasp, specifying LORBIT = 10 in
the INCAR, it will project the DOS onto spherical harmonics, centered on
the ions. It will create a file called PROCAR, where you can find your
bands by looking at the energy and k points. Try to find the ion and the
orbital type that contributes the most for a given band at various k
points, and use that as the projection for that band.

Hope it helps,
Aron